Professional Cinematographers talk & exchange ideas about Cinematography.
Cinematography Mailing List, CML, was started by Geoff Boyle in 1996 so that 60
Cinematographers could talk about work.
We now have 19 lists, with a total of over 17,000 members 45% who come from the US, 14% from the UK and the balance from 198 countries worldwide, 6 of the lists have more than 5,000 members and 11 ranging from 2,500 to 5,000 members.
Nearly 47 million messages were sent out in the last year with a successful delivery rate of over 99%.
The aim of CML is to promote the free exchange of ideas among fellow professionals. Participants in these discussion are Cinematographers and their crew as well as representatives of all the main manufacturing and rental film & video/digital companies.
The discussion lists are still primarily email based as this is the most convenient system for working cinematographers and 80% of our messages use this, the web interface is responsible for the other 20% along with most of the irrelevant messages!
"There's something about Cinematographers, and the passion we bring to our work, that gives us a sense of being blood brothers. We have a love and admiration for each other, and a desire to help each other out"
Conrad Hall ASC
We work extremely hard to make this list an international one and not one that focuses on local issues.
We have regular face to face meetings/parties at NAB, CineGear & IBC.
This web site of edited pages, which are all available to non-members, was added in 1997, we now have over 3,000 pages of
edited discussions between cinematographers, their crews and
equipment and facility suppliers.
Search all edited pages
CML has won awards from SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) BKSTS (British Cinematography, Sound & Television Society) BSC (British Society of Cinematographers) for outstanding contribution to education in Cinematography.